{ DIY – It’s a Sandwich Wrap n Place-mat all in One!}

Yahoo! I finally got to bust out my sewing machine. It’s been way too long sense I’ve used it for a project. And oh do I have a project for you! It’s super easy (it will take you less than 3 hours including cutting the pattern!), totally practical and environmentally friendly! The best part of this project is you don’t need to iron. I’m all for a sewing project that doesn’t require ironing :)

Sandwich Wrap and Place-mat all in one!

The Sandwich Wrap
So let’s chat about this project. It’s a sandwich wrap and place-mat all in one. There is fabric on the outside and on the inside is plastic. You wrap your sandwich up and then when you are done with it you can wipe the plastic down. It’s perfect for adults and kids alike. I’ve selected a more adult type fabric but you could always select something more kid friendly (I’m working on a couple more and will show you those tomorrow).

Ready to get started? First download the pattern.

Sandwich Wrap and Place-mat all in one!
Sandwich Wrap and Place-mat all in one!
Sandwich Wrap and Place-mat all in one!
Sandwich Wrap and Place-mat all in one!
Sandwich Wrap and Place-mat all in one!
Sandwich Wrap and Place-mat all in one!
Sandwich Wrap and Place-mat all in one!

Please let me know if there’s anything you feel needs to be changed or improved on with the directions or the pattern. I’m so not a sewer so any tips/tricks are welcome :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tags: , , ,

46 Responses to“{ DIY – It’s a Sandwich Wrap n Place-mat all in One!}”

1. celine says:

need to pack sandwiches for my 2 girls and hubby daily, and i have not been very “earth-friendly” with the amount of ziploc that i throw away. this is just what i need ….. thanks for sharing!

2. I’ve been seeing these all over the web and have wanted one for a long time! But looks like I can make my own!! I think the only thing I have to buy is that plastic piece, I’m guessing I can just get it at Joann’s or something??? Thanks for this super simple tutorial!!!

3. Elizabeth says:

Hi Guys! Yes the project is so easy and I think all the materials (I had the fabric glue and velcro from another project) cost $5. I got everything at Joann’s. You can find the 4mm plastic over by the Upholstery Section. Good Luck! Let me know how it goes. ~ Elizabeth

4. Kristin says:

I like how you used two pieces of fabric it makes the inside pretty too!, nicely done! I’m trying to decide if I should turn mine inside out or bind them, I like your idea.

5. Sarah says:

Oh, Beth! I love this. You know I’ve been awaiting this post and you’ve done a great job of spelling it out. I will whip a few of these up these weekend. Can’t wait.
    Thanks so much. Love your blog. Posting a link.

6. Lisa says:

What a fun and practical project! We all take our lunch to work and school here and I hate to think how much plastic wrap we go through! I have never seen pink velcro before – we only have black and white here in Australia.

7. Elizabeth says:

Hi Lisa!

I’ve covered the top of the velcro with fabric then adhered it with fabric glue. I also put a dab of Fray Block on all the sides for extra protection.

I hope all of you enjoyed this project and feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks n Happy Sewing!
    Elizabeth

8. GPAMama says:

Love this tutorial! I’m so happy I stumbled on your site – I love it too!

9. ASO0902 says:

These are fabulous. For a TOTAL non-sewer, can we buy these from you?? :-)

10. i love these!

i’ve been making a stash for our kitchen drawer to phase out all of our plastic zip lock bags.

and I think the idea and tutorial is so great I wanted to share!

i’ve included this in my weekly inspiration roundup, blogged here:

camille

11. Stephanie says:

Hey Elizabeth, I am featuring this tutorial on somewhat simple this Tuesday! Thanks again for sharing!

12. Dawleymama says:

I know you said we can wipe these clean, but can they be either hand washed or put in a mesh bag and washed on a delicate cycle?

13. Elizabeth says:

This is a great question! I have just whipped mine clean but I’ve been curious as to how they would hold up in the washer. I will through one of mine in and let you know how it holds up. Thanks so much for your question.

14. Katie says:

This is a great idea and such a elegant way to go green! Thanks for the tutorial, I think these would make great stocking stuffers! I bet get started right away in order to get them done by Christmas, yeah I’m a slow crafter.

15. Jessica says:

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I wanted to make my husband for Christmas, he cringes every time I use a ziplock, and he’s so hard to find things to sew for! You are my Christmas hero!

16. Rebecca says:

This is awesome! Thanks for the tutorial!

17. Pegzz says:

what a great idea! I am wondering how they did in the washer though? My boys love PB&J sandwiches and I’m not thinking the peanut butter will wipe clean very well.

18. Mary Anne F. says:

Love the idea, plan on making some! P.S.: Instead of washing and drying, I would use a little dish detergent and hand wash the placemat/holder (since detergent gets PB off dishes). That way, it would last longer!

19. Becky says:

I made one last night and tried it out with lunch today. My sandwich is fresh and nice. I made two changes: I used ripstop nylon for the inside layer (no plastic, just one piece of print fabric and one piece of ripstop) and I sewed a rectangular tab to put the soft piece of velcro on. I am going to make a bunch for stocking stuffers out of remnants from other projects. With the ripstop nylon, there is no problem washing them when needed.

20. Juline says:

Is that type of plastic food safe?

21. Nancy says:

These rock! I made several similar to these, and we use them all the time. I use the plastic from a heavy-duty freezer bag to be sure that it’s food-safe plastic. A gallon-size freezer bag is just big enough to make a wrap if you cut the bag open and cut out the pattern on the diagonal. Cheap and convenient. I machine wash the wraps in a lingerie bag and hang them to dry. They’re going strong after months of daily use. Pegzz asked about PB&J…I just wipe off the visible food before laundering, and that has worked well. This is a project that’s well worth doing.

22. April R says:

Wow these are awesome! My hubby works in construction so I know he doesn’t always have the greatest place to set down and eat lunch. I’ll have to pick up some “manly” fabric and make him some. This will be a great project to work on over Christmas break. Nancy I love your idea of using the big ziplock bags to insure they are food safe.

23. Traci S. says:

Not to be a germ phobe, but can these be washed in hot water in the machine?
    Who knows what is lurking on the bags, after a day in the cafeteria!

24. Elizabeth says:

Hi Traci,

I know exactly what you mean! Yes they can be washed in your washer machine. Just pop it in and let it air dry.

Happy Sewing! Elizabeth

25. [...] bags. A friend of mine made sandwich wraps that unfold to little placemats for her young boys using this tutorial. It does use plastic in it, though. Can you think of a suitable substitute? My first thought was [...]

26. abby says:

Instead of plastic, i used ripstop nylon for one, and laminated cotton I purchased at oilclothaddict on etsy and it’s food safe and easy to work with for the other… LOVE THIS! Thank you for posting!

27. [...] Simple Bag Bag with Pleats Around the House Cover a recycled food can and make a Utensil Holder from To Be Charmed [...]

28. Rebecca says:

My mom taught me a neat little trick when I was little … before turning it right side out, cut a little V- notch near (but not over the stitching) on each corner so that when you turn it, the seams will lie flat and not “bunch” from the extra fabric in there. :) Thanks for posting the pattern! These can be expensive in stores!

29. Faltbares « says:

[...] Anleitung gibt es hier (klick). Zusammen gefaltet Als Unterlage Share [...]

30. Nikki says:

What a beautiful site you have here!

Thank you for these instructions. I’ve just been searching to buy my own sandwich wrap but I don’t like the designs available to me. Rather than me having to sit here and work out how to do it, you’ve explained it all very clearly above! Thank you so much!

I feel a little project coming on…!

Nikki

31. [...] I couldn’t find the link for the pattern they refer to on Breakfast Television, however, this website seems to have the pattern. I know I’m definitely going to give it a try…if it works out, [...]

32. [...] Simple Bag Bag with Pleats Around the House Cover a recycled food can and make a Utensil Holder from To Be Charmed [...]

33. Deedo says:

Hi! I’ve been wanting to buy one, but then decided to see if there was a pattern~ and found your super instructions!

As far as the plastic, I cut up a Foodsaver bag . It’s food safe, microwavable, 4mm with a layer of nylon for strength and strong. Perfect!

34. [...] you make your own sandwich wrap, don’t use iron-on vinyl. That is not food safe. I don’t love the idea of using polyurethane [...]

35. Gloria says:

I’ve made a few of these using ripstop nylon on the inside to see if we’d like them. I like them so much, I purchased some laminated cotton (super cute and food safe) to use on the inside layer. Instead of gluing the velcro on, I sew the sticky side of the velcro on prior to sewing the layers together, then just sew the soft side into the top seam. Thanks for this! My son will have a few fun wraps to choose from next fall when he goes to Kindergarten!

36. Liz says:

Super easy instructions. I thought I would give it a try but since I didn’t have any Velcro on hand I made a loop at the top and threaded a ribbon to tie. Might not work for little ones but great for me.

37. [...] ### Aanvulling: De Sandwich Wrap is ook makkelijk zelf te maken. Zie: http://to-be-charmed.com/2010/04/29/diy_sandwich_wrap/ [...]

38. River says:

I’m 12 years old and I’ve been using wrap-n-mats for about 2 years. They have worn out though, because I used a knife on it and accidentally cut the plastic and it melted somehow so there is a bunch of holes in it. I put chia seeds on my sammy so they chia seeds get stuck between the plastic and fabric. Its all very dirty even after I wash it. So as you can see, I need something new. So I researched and the wrap-n-mats cost about $10 each and I want 5 for each day of the week so that is about $50 if I bought them. It was $20 for nice new supplies for a DIY. So I am in the process of making this. I’ve already pinned everything together. Yay! I’m using ripstop nylon so I only need 2 layers. I just got quilting squares that match the nylon and so everything is uniform but different. I’m so excited! Can’t wait to get sewing. Hope my sewing machine doesn’t go crazy again.
    Oh yeah, and I noticed the last word in step 5 is spelled wrong. :)

39. Some really great content on this web site , appreciate it for contribution. Upon having preferred a place apart from charms manager that http://haha310.sxdx208.515ip.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=16490

40. Carol says:

The patter only gave me the top? :( ((

41. [...] Wrap and Place Mat Elizabeth at To Be Charmed shows you how to make a Sandwich Wrap and Place Mat all in one! Perk-up your lunch box and use less plastic by having a few of these on [...]

42. peter says:

for the inside, I used a vinyl tablecloth from the £ shop.
    its safe, washable,and I can make plenty.

43. Aislinn says:

Hi,
    Was a bit confused about the 4 mm plastic. What is this, and where can I buy it?
    Thanks!

44. [...] be Charmed for linking to my Breakfast in Bed Tutorial. Elizabeth has a great tutorial on a stylish DIY Sandwich Wrap that I can’t wait to [...]

45. [...] make yourself an ice pack, a cute ice pack cover, a few napkins, maybe a sandwich wrap, a sandwich wrap & mat, or snack bag and you’re good! But please (PLEASE) don’t use oil cloth, PUL or other [...]

46. [...] Sandwich Wrap – A cute origami-style wrap unfolds into a place mat and replaces those plastic baggies that [...]

{ post your comment }